Sunday, November 30, 2008

Tell Him What You Want

And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” Mark 10:47

Bartimaeus was a blind beggar sitting by the road hoping that someone with compassion would come by and put a little money in his hand so that he could buy the things he needed. He was at the mercy of the passer-by, as he could do nothing as a blind man in the first century to support himself. His poverty must have been intense, for most had their own needs and those of their family’s to worry about. The hope was that a wealthy person might take notice of him and care enough or want to make a show of his kindness in sharing a few coins with him.

To be a beggar indeed is a difficult occupation. Relying on the consideration of strangers, and taxing the patience of family and friends causes a person to have a very low view of themselves. To be helpless in any situation is an intense burden on the mind, but to be in that position almost every waking moment must have been unbearable to Bartimaeus.

I Imagine as Bartimaeus sat by the road at Jericho some stopped to talk to him, especially children. They must have told him the stories of Jesus healing people all over Galilee and Judea. He must have been excited to hear how he turned over the tables in the temple and healed the lame man that was lowered through a roof into the room where Jesus was speaking. How his heart must have imagined that if he ever had a chance to meet Jesus just maybe he would gain his sight. “I would be a complete person. I would no longer be a burden and shame to my family.”

Is it any wonder then that when he heard the noise of a crowd and found out that Jesus was about that he began to call His name? “And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"” (Mark 10:47)

An interesting thing happens next. The people around Jesus try to discourage the man. “Be quiet” they say. “Don’t bother the Master. He has more important things to do and people to see than you.” How many of us when we are in need hear the voice of negativity and doubt and stop believing that God cares about us? We look around at the suffering of others and conclude, “There’s no hope for me. I’m a nobody? I’m worthless.”

When CT Studd, the 19th century English missionary to China, India and Central Africa decided to leave for his last mission to Africa as an old man, friends, family, his doctors and even mission agencies told him that he was crazy and that he would not succeed. He didn’t listen. He, as Bartimaeus had, cried out more in faith to Jesus.

Don’t listen to the naysayers who have no idea about your needs. Remember, there is a reward for those who trust in the Lord. There is a future that’s unseen, yet lies just beyond the curtain of doubt asking, “Do you believe?”

No one was going to keep Bartimaeus quiet. Jesus was close. This might be his only chance to meet the master and ask him for his sight, so the more they told him to be quiet, the louder he shouted. Unashamed, bold, and confident, he got the Savior’s attention. When Jesus asked him what he wanted he didn’t hesitate in his response. “So Jesus answered and said to him, "What do you want Me to do for you?" The blind man said to Him, "Rabboni, that I may receive my sight."” (Mark 10:51)

One might say about Bartimaeus, “Of course he would do anything to get what he wanted, he was a hopeless wretch.” That is the point. He was a wretch who would take anything he was offered, be it a piece of bread or a small coin, and he knew it. Do we see ourselves as Bartimaeus saw himself? Are we wretches or can we get along just fine without Jesus? If he does pass by in a sermon, while reading the Bible, praying, or in a moment when we are contemplating life, will we cry out? Will we see Him in our children’s funny questions? Will we notice His work in the lives of those around us? Are we needy enough to make fools of ourselves in the eyes of people we know because we want our hopeless lives to change?

Jesus is here and He is asking, “What do you want me to do for you?”
Tell Him what you want.

2 comments:

Anisa said...

Fantastic message Papa Shibs! I do that all the time where I think that I should be asking for serious things or better yet, be thankful that things aren't worse.

What throws me for a loop is P. Wright's message on not praying amiss. I took it to mean not to pray selfishly ...well, what I really do want to pray about is a little selfish; a whole lot selfish and were situations that I made a horrid mess of. So if I pray about it, am I going amiss? Or, am I to go boldly regardless of the circumstances; besides, He already knows what's in my heart.

I do want to be like Bartameus (sp) and having his sight restored would mean that he wouldn't be a burden to his family. Well, what I really want at the end of the day benefits me (through my eyes) but who's to say how God might use it otherwise ...

Sorry for the confusion, I thinking/typing aloud.

Maybe I should pray for clarity :)

Kim Anthony Shibley said...

There is always the human component in our prayer. We are human after all. The fact that we pray for others is awesome. There is the human selfish factor in that too. These are our brothers and sisters in Christ, these are people that mean alot to us. Jesus came to a people He knew (of course He knows everyone) then taught them to go to a people they didn't know and present the gospel.