Thursday, February 26, 2009

Seven Envelopes

Several years ago on my birthday I woke up and found a birthday card on my dresser. I didn’t open it. As I proceeded to the next location, the bathroom, I found another card on the sink. The next stop was the kitchen table, then my desk, then the computer station. All told there were seven birthday cards all from my wife, and for some reason I was not interested in opening any of them.

As the day went on there was a lot of busyness for we were having guests over to celebrate later in the day. Unfortunately the joyous occasion was filled with strife and anxiety and I asked myself, why are we even doing this?

Finally before everyone arrived I had to get out of the house, so I took a walk just to get my mind right. That’s when God spoke to me.

I realized how callous I had been to my wife that day. She had taken the time to buy 7 birthday cards and put them in places that she knew I would be to bless me, and I had ignored every single one of them. I then ran home and opened every one and apologized for my cold hearted attitude towards her loving initiations.

Then I pondered how often I have avoided messages from God. His Word is a message of love and forgiveness. The notes are there for all to see yet often we are ignorant of them because the envelope stays sealed.

The verse then came to my mind from Jeremiah 31:3 which says, “The LORD has appeared of old to me, [saying]: "Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with loving-kindness I have drawn you.”

Then came Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Jesus speaks to us through His word. These are messages of love to heal us, guide us in paths that lead to good things, and to protect us from the dangers of sin. Let’s open up the cards and integrate His message of love into every thought, decision and relationship that we have.

God bless you

2 comments:

Anisa said...

This was a great message P. Shibs and also rang true for the many times I've felt irritated/self-absorbed and just plain vain! :)

It is powerful how a verse or even just taking a moment to pray will lead to a sweet Fellowship with God and I feel renewed in knowing that He still loves me ... ungrateful as I may be, he still loves me.

I recently connected with a close friend from High School in Kenya. Her name was Mbuve and we were inseparable in school. She had a troubled life at home and sometimes it manifested itself in our daily interactions; she was very unhappy. Though we were close, there was always a wall which she put up and occasionally would lash out something crazy!

So, fast forward a decade and I meet her on Facebook ...a completely changed woman, so much so she changed her name to Mwende. When I asked why she told me that when we were in school, some of her family members practiced sorcery/witchcraft and had named her after a spirit which she describes in her own words was "from darkness". Because of her custom, she had to endure different experiences until a death in the family; it was after that time that she went to church with someone, got saved, learned WHO she is in Christ and the Lord revealed to her the name Mwende which in her language means Freedom.

As I read her message, the verse from Romans 8:38-39 came to mind which I shared with her while responding to her testimony.

How amazing is it that God had planned our lives to be as such ...A testimony of His Love for us. I'm so glad Mwende and I listened ...even though it took us a decade :)

Kim Anthony Shibley said...

Anisa
That is truly remarkable. It goes along with what we spoke about last evening in Silver Spring about psalm 118 The day the Lord has made. His plan is perfect.