Thursday, April 23, 2009

Around and Around

I remember early on in my working life seeing my boss got cheated by a customer. He didn’t get too upset in learning the facts that someone walked out without paying his bill. His comment on the matter was, “What goes around comes around.” This of course is to say that something that person will somehow have to pay for his bad deed in the future.
The writer of Psalm 73 saw the opposite. He saw wicked people prospering in this life and complained to God about it. He said in verse 3, “I was envious of the boastful, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.” He was envious of these wicked people because though they were evil they still enjoyed everything they needed and wanted and then got even more good stuff. “Behold, these are the ungodly, who are always at ease; they increase in riches.” How unfair is that? I thought what goes around comes around, and whatever a man sows, that he will also reap?” (Galatians 6:7)
If we try to figure out the why of every seeming injustice, our head will just spin around and around in confusion. God doesn’t deal in fairness, He deals in justice. That means we are all subject to the same curse because of sin. That curse is death. “For the wages of sin is death.” (Romans 6:23) This is a thing that all of us fear, none of us can avoid, but no one wants to talk about, yet it is right around the corner. The ones who are reveling in their power and wealth now and ignore the fact that someday this life will end will have to deal with it at a less convenient time. Jesus calls these people fools.
“Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: "The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully.
"And he thought within himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?'
"So he said, 'I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods.
'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry."'
"But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?'” (Luke 12:16-20)

As Psalm 73 describes the life of wicked people the writer gets back into a right relationship to God and begins to see clearly the end of the path of someone who chooses not to seek God in this life. It’s a sad ending, “But it is good for me to draw near to God.” (Psalm 73:28) It is then when the writers head stopped spinning.

No comments: